Imgurian Bruck7 was a little bored around the office with the decoré. So he decided to spruce things up a little with some post-it notes… more than 9,000 to be exact. Take a look as he walks you through the “Superhero Post-It Mural” project one awesome photo at a time…
So you’re bored of looking at drab office walls — how about some awesomeness instead?!
This was my inspiration for the whole project. One day I just got so tired of how sterile and boring our office felt, I thought I should do something about it.
As you can see, the walls are pretty plain, but that meant we had a lot of space to work with. We realized that painting would take a long time, and would be difficult to remove (we had the building facilities department to worry about), so we landed on post-its as a semi-cheap and fully temporary solution.
I wanted something colorful, playful, and inspiring. My creative director and I tossed around some ideas. Famous Portraits? Pixelated iconic posters? Eventually, he suggested superheroes. Superheroes were the answer. I started working out the pixel grid and designing some characters.
Superheroes are strong and inspiring figures. They are iconic, and recognizable. Plus, we could design them ourselves.
They also look kind of funny with big heads and little bodies. Kind of like kids dressing up!
Once I got a character model going, I based the others off of the same proportions.
She seemed like a good way to bring up the estrogen levels.
The sparks were flying. It was fun to figure out how to communicate the details with such a small pixel grid (only 34 post-its high!)
One of my favorites.
A mockup of the far wall
I did some mockups to plan out the scale and position of the pieces. It looked pretty sweet, so I kept going.
Lots of notes
The designs were going to require 8,024 post-its in total. Once I calculated the total I needed of each color (which was kind of a pain), I had to figure out how many of each color pack I needed to order (which was even more of a pain). Some only came in assortment packs with other colors, so I decided on some of the backgrounds based on the most efficient use of the budget (which was about $300). There are a lot of leftovers, and some colors from the packs were not used at all. I ended up purchasing about 9,000 post-its.
Some wonderful people in my office volunteered to come in over the weekend to install the mural. First thing we did was line the top row of every character panel. Then we used those to measure 2 foot (8 post-its) vertical grids spanning the whole wall.We taped them out to keep the grid as straight as possible, since there were a lot of helpers and the wall was huge. It felt daunting at first. It’s a very slow process, but we powered through.
It was exciting to see her come to life.
Beginning to make progress.
About halfway done with the large wall.
It started going much faster once more people showed up. Apparently the A/C does not work in the building over the weekend. This was an unpleasant surprise. It got pretty gross by the end.
Help was welcomed from people of all shapes and sizes :)
Spiderman is coming together.
Everyone was helping.
The finished piece!
See if you can spot the man in camouflage.
Another shot of the whole deal.
Here’s a shot from near my desk.
Wonder Woman mid-flight (or jump)
Looking down the corridor from the kitchen.
Someone’s new workspace :)
Spiderman and Batman, hangin’ out.
The whole wall.
Me with the heroes.
Some of the team
We had people in and out helping all day, so I didn’t get any shots of everyone together :(
Though it did get really hot, everyone was really cool about it, and it was a ton of fun to create this thing and see it become a reality. We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback, and people from all over the building have been coming to check it out. A big thanks to everyone involved!
Watch the timelapse of the project…