We’ve been following Katie’s Healthy Dessert Blog, Chocolate Covered Katie for a while now. We found her blog quite by accident while looking for healthy desserts… because everyone know that they don’t really exist. Well, that was until we found this recipe for Tiramisu with only 69 calories per slice!
Go ahead, give it a go. And then, if your tastebuds want more, head over to Katie’s Blog for a WHOLE lot more dessert recipes that have chocolate as the central ingredient.
Chocolate Covered Katie’s Healthy Tiramisu
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil OR additional milk of choice
- 1/2 cup silken tofu (or 1/2 cup plain yogurt and decrease milk by 1 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground flax or 1 tsp energ powder
- 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (or Bob’s gf plus 1 tsp xanthan)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp xylitol or sugar of choice
- 1/16 tsp pure stevia or 2 additional tbsp sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an 8×8 square pan. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry and stir until just evenly combined, then pour into the prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Meanwhile, make the cream:
- 3/4 cup Mori-Nu tofu OR cashew cream
- 3/4 cup cream cheese of choice (such as Tofutti or Daiya)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch pure stevia OR 2 tbsp powdered sugar
Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth. You will not use all of the cream in the Tiramisu, but it’s best to make a full batch for smooth blending… and you can always use the leftovers to frost banana bread, pumpkin bread, or Cheesecake Pancakes!
- 3 1/2 tbsp espresso (or 3 1/2 tbsp water mixed with just over 1 tbsp instant coffee)
- 1 1/2 tbsp rum (For alcohol-free, just add a little rum extract to the espresso)
Combine both ingredients in a small dish.
To make the Healthy Tiramisu: Line a 9×5 loaf pan with plastic wrap. Cut the cake in half, placing one half in the bottom of the loaf pan. Brush with some of the espresso, then smooth on a layer of cream. Place the other half of the cake on top, then cover with the rest of the espresso and another layer of cream. Refrigerate at least 5 hours before serving to let the espresso sink into the cake layers. Before serving, dust with cocoa if desired. Makes 4 BIG servings or 8 squares.
Tiramisu Calories and Nutrition Facts
*Nutrition information was calculated via caloriecount and is based on 1/8 of the entire recipe.